Tim's research and writing interests include:
- political theory (patriotism, multiculturalism, deliberative democracy);
- the history of political thought (development of liberal and nationalist ideologies);
- Australian politics (Labor history, federation, the culture wars);
- British and American politics (especially relating to class, race and solidarity);
- social criticism and interpretation (public intellectuals and culture);
- public policy (strategy and administration);
- media and communications; and
- political economy (globalisation, role of government, economics of immigration).
He graduated from the University of Oxford with a Doctor of Philosophy in political theory in May 2010.
Tim has taught recently at at Monash University in the School of Journalism, Australian and Indigenous Studies and the University of Sydney in the Graduate School of Government.